New Walk Museum & Art Gallery
53 New Walk
Leicester LE1 7EA
A free one-day event from 11am to 4pm
New Walk Museum turns 170 years old this year! Wish the museum a very happy birthday and come to this free event for free craft, sketching and music activities, exhibitor stands and more!
Come and talk to us at the LSA stall!
We have members here to tell you all about Leicester Society of Artists and free postcards to pick up.
Look out for our LSA banner in the Victorian Gallery!
We have been exhibiting here at New Walk Museum & Art Gallery since 1897 and the reign of Queen Victoria.
Why not try your hand at our. . . . .
Hogarth Sketching Competition
Hosted by Leicester Society of Artists in support of New Walk Museum's 170th birthday celebrations.
This sketching competition in the Victorian Gallery is open to all ages and is free to join. Not just the Hogarth, though - there are a lot of wonderful pictures you can sketch here! You can even draw the portrait of Richard III, on loan from the National Portrait Gallery. All drawing equipment is supplied. Simply drop into the Victorian Gallery, pick up a pencil and paper and get sketching!
There will be a small prize for the best picture. . . .based on a picture in the Victorian gallery. Make sure it's finished by 3.30pm to enter in the competition!
Open to all ages and abilities
The following people and organisations are taking part on the day:
- Egyptology experts Prof. Joann Fletcher & Dr Stephen Buckley (University of York)
- University of Leicester Archaeological Services
- East Midlands Geological Society
- Leicester University Geology Department
- Leicester Drum and Brass
- Leicester Literary and Philosophical Society - Geology Society
- Leicestershire and Rutland Wildlife Trust
- Leicestershire Ancient Egypt Society
- Leicester Civic Society
- Leicestershire Industrial History Society
- Leicester Society of Artists
- Leicestershire and Rutland Bat Group
- Richard III Society
- Leicester Fostering Service
The exhibitors are situated throughout the galleries, where they will be more than keen to talk to you about their shared passion for heritage, museums and natural science.
There will also be a chance to make great music with Drum and Brass Leicester.